Friday, April 6, 2012

Rock, Paper, Scissors- Jam, Jelly, Preserves

I was cleaning out my fridge and I had to find humor in the fact that I was the owner of six (6!) open jars of jelly, jam, and preserves. I love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches- when the mood strikes- but it was just incredible the variety I had open without being used in a while considering how hard the lids were to open. I wanted to use them and free up some much needed space on the shelf.

But how shall I use those last two stubborn spoonfuls still left in the bottom of the jar? My mind paced backwards to a few weeks ago when I was cleaning out my cupboards and found 3 boxes of instant oatmeal- sugar free. Two out of the three boxes were open with two flavors left; maple and brown sugar and apples and cinnamon. I couldn't make a crisp because that requires fresh fruit, but I could make a distant cousin of crisp... fruit and oat slices! YUM!




1. Combine 1 cup of jam, jelly or preserves of any kind. I used mostly blueberry jam, a touch of apricot jelly, and some strawberry preserves. Dice up about 1/2 cup dried apricots (that's what I had- dried apples and pears would work) and combine with the jam-jelly-preserve mixture. Set aside.


2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together 1 3/4 cup all- purpose flour, 1 cup packed light brown sugar (use scant 1 cup if you are using non-sugar free instant oatmeal), 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon baking soda. Add about 1 1/2 cups instant oatmeal (about 5 packets), any flavor- I used the aforementioned apple and cinnamon and maple and brown sugar. Mix well.


3. Melt 2 sticks of butter and pour over oatmeal mixture, mix to combine. Add one egg so it all stays together and mix well until everything forms together.

What a lucky egg...
4. Lightly spray the bottom of a 9" metal or glass round baking dish with a non-stick baking spray. Pour half the oatmeal mixture in and press down with your fingers, making sure to cover the bottom of the pan. 


Pour the jam-jelly-preserve mixture over that and spread evenly.


 Top off with the remainder of the oatmeal mixture and spread evenly. 



5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes, or until the top is crunchy. Let cool 10 minutes before cutting into slices. 


These can be enjoyed for a breakfast, snack, or dessert with some vanilla ice cream! Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I am doing this! I have some weird preserves in the fridge....apple and passionfruit to name a couple. Thanks for being so darn creative!

    ReplyDelete